The accuracy of fences depends on your GPS accuracy. In order to fix any problem related with fences, please follow the procedure below:
- Update the Findster App on your smartphone.
- Update the Firmware of your modules.
- Put your smartphone right next to the Pet module and then turn on the internet - the Findster App will automatically update the GPS of the Pet module, making it much more accurate.
- Increase the size of your fence a bit, especially if the fence is around your house or if you want it to be extremely precise (please check the tips for these use cases below).
Tips for specific use cases
As it happens with any other system that features a GPS, Findster also has a standard error associated of a few yards/meters in regards to the Pet module's location, that can be higher or smaller depending on the surrounding environment. In order to avoid inaccurate notifications about GPS fences (false alerts telling you that your pet has breached them, when, in fact, they haven't) you can increase the size of the GPS fence. So, even if your pet gets tracked a few yards/meters away from its real position due to those "jumps", they'll still be inside the fence.
1. Extremely precise fences
If you're creating a fence with a very small radius, the Pet module won't have ideal tracking conditions and it may report an inaccurate location. In this case, as they're surrounded by a very small fence, they'll easily "jump" in and out of it on the map, which results in inaccurate notifications. This is also the reason why the Findster App doesn't let you zoom further when you're creating a fence.
2. No ideal environment / indoor use
If, for example, your pet is indoors or in any other type of environment rated as non ideal (you may check the conditions in our article about connection range and GPS accuracy) the Pet module won't be able to receive the signal broadcasted by the GPS satellites accurately, and so its position will also "jump" in and out of the fence.
If the problem is not solved after you've followed the procedure, please send us a report through the Findster App (Menu ▶ Feedback ▶ Report a problem) with the answers to the following questions:
- Are you using Findster for walks or to track your pet around a fix place?
- Are you carrying the Guardian with you while you're walking?
- Please attach a picture of the Map screen with the fence.